Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Trayvon Martin: Was the use of Deadly Force Really Necessary?



With all the coverage of the George Zimmerman Trial it is almost impossible to not have an opinion. To give you mine is not the reason I am writing this. Mine is simple, I was not there and I do not know what happened, so for me to tell anyone what "justice" would have been would be ludicrous. From what I see, the jurors did their job to the best of their ability according to the guidelines set forth by the laws and the justice system of the State of Florida.


The reason I am writing this article is to ask the question why?


Why is a seventeen year old boy dead when it could have been prevented?


The State of Florida has justified the use of deadly force for the purpose of self defense. I believe we should have the right to defend ourselves by any means necessary for survival, but I also believe that where it is possible to use non-lethal force that this choice should be made.

I do not believe it is necessary to carry a lethal weapon for means of self defense. If you can pull out a gun and shoot someone with it then I believe you can use pepper spray instead. In the case of Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman I believe that a pepper spray or a stun gun would have been just as effective in the self defense of George Zimmerman.


If George Zimmerman had been carrying a stun gun or pepper spray, both very effective non-lethal means of self defense, than Trayvon Martin would still be with us.


What I am saying is that when the choice is there to use non-lethal means for self defense, we should make that choice.

My deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of Trayvon Martin, but nothing I can do or say will make their loss any less. A person is dead. A young man was taken from this earth and nothing will make that change.

But can we prevent this from happening in the future? Yes, if we all think before we act and make better decisions, we can make a difference. I write this because I believe in the products I sell. I believe stun guns and pepper sprays not only save the lives of would be victims, but they save the lives of everyone involved. We CAN defend ourselves by non lethal means and I believe in this.






No comments:

Post a Comment